Browsing the "News" Category

Hogan again criticizes Busch’s handling of budget

April 15th, 2015 | by Rebecca Lessner

Hard feelings from the just-finished legislative session spilled over into the Board of Public Works meeting Wednesday, as Gov. Larry Hogan used his seat as chairman to call out House Speaker Michael Busch. “I’m not going to allow the petulant and unprecedented action by the Speaker, ignoring our supplemental budget, to go,” said Hogan, addressing a representative from the Maryland State Police who was testifying on police radios


Hogan, Franchot deplore food contract mess at Baltimore jail

April 15th, 2015 | by Rebecca Lessner

The fear of hungry inmates rioting at the Baltimore City Detention Center prompted top state officials to approve an emergency contract with a food vendor that had seriously underbid its three-year contract. “We can’t wake up tomorrow morning and not serve food to the prisoners and have a riot on our hands,” said Gov. Larry Hogan at the Wednesday Board of Public Works meeting


Freshman delegates hit the ground running, reflect on first year

April 14th, 2015 | by Rebecca Lessner

Lawmakers lined up along the walls of the Governor's Reception Room, waiting to stand behind Gov. Larry Hogan as bills they’ve poured their hearts into the past 90-days were signed into law Tuesday morning. Perhaps the most eager of these legislators were the new kids on the block, first-year legislators that made up the largest freshmen class to occupy the State House in 20 years. Reacting to their first session, new delegates reflected on their accomplishments, struggles and future plans


Rain tax repeal enacted; lone legislator says bill repeals little

April 14th, 2015 | by Len Lazarick

A lone legislator let his disapproval rain down on House delegates the last night of session, as the Watershed Protection bill passed with only Del. Richard Impallaria opposed against 138 members. “There are people who believe that what we are doing is repealing the rain tax,” said Del. Richard Impallaria, R-Baltimore and Harford. “They are still going to get a rain tax bill, every single year.”


At the end, Hogan and lawmakers fighting at the margins

April 12th, 2015 | by Len Lazarick

About 98% of the budget approve by the legislature is what Hogan himself submitted Jan. 22. He and the legislature have been arguing about the other 2%. Now 2% of a $40.5 billion budget is $800 million, so it's not just chump change. Here at the end of the 90-day session, it's only about $200 million that's in dispute, though lawmakers have "fenced off" considerably more on programs such as mass transit so Hogan can't spend it on other things. They are arguing about the margins -- and about holding down spending in years to come.


Rascovar: Hogan’s choice on the last day — fight or declare victory

April 12th, 2015 | by Barry Rascovar

Has Gov. Larry Hogan Jr. overplayed his hand? We'll find out today as the Maryland General Assembly tries to wrap up its 2015 session. Hogan has two choices: Continue to play hardball with the Democratic legislature and risk losing all of his legislative priorities, or negotiate a settlement that gives everyone partial victory



Back to Top ↑