As exciting as it is to start a new business, it is a lot of work. Before you even open your doors, you need to do a lot of background work to form the business and ensure things go smoothly. By seeking legal advice from day one, you can prevent a lot of small issues and set your business up for success.
A startup lawyer is your number one business asset. These specialist attorneys have helped countless California businesses thrive. They will prevent a number of issues from occurring in the first place and help you deal with any that arise swiftly and effectively. Depending on your business needs, they can provide you with a number of free resources as well as walk you through issues that require legal attention. For example, an employment attorney in San Diego at the Nakase Law Firm can help with employee’s lawsuit.
What Common Legal Issues Do Small Businesses Face?
Most business owners avoid hiring an attorney until they face a lawsuit. While it may seem like an easy place to avoid extra costs when starting a business, the opposite is true. Yes, hiring Los Angeles business litigation attorneys at California Business Lawyer & Corporate Lawyer, Inc. will actually save your new business money.
Our business litigation lawyers see clients with the following problems when they don’t hire an attorney:
- They have not taken the correct steps to separate their personal and business finances.
- Not creating legally binding contracts for their employees, vendors, and even clients. This may give them additional legal responsibilities they did not intend or leave them unable to sue for breach of contract.
- Partnerships do not have a partnership agreement in place to outline the responsibilities and rights of each party. This leads to disagreements that could have been avoided by deciding these things from the very start.
- They do not have the proper planning and research in place before applying for funding. The best-case scenario is lenders do not take them seriously enough; the worst-case scenario is they apply for loans with extortionate terms or from dodgy lenders.
How Can a Startup Lawyer Help My Business?
There are a lot of things to consider when starting a new business. A startup lawyer can help you with the following things:
- General business advice
- Intellectual property protection
- Partnership agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Data protection compliance
- Data processors and data controller information and advice
- Personal guarantees when securing funding
- Commercial lease advice
- Tips on protecting your business interests during negotiations
- Negotiating on your behalf
- Terms and conditions of trading
- Business formation and choosing an entity for your new business
- How to write contracts/writing contracts for you
- How to engage contractors and consultants
- Employment law advice
- Regulatory compliance services
- Website development advice