Marijuana has and still is a controversial topic however, whether you are against this substance or not, there are undoubtedly powerful medicinal properties that this herb has to offer. This article will explore how cannabis can be used as medicine as well as the different ways it can be consumed. We will also look at the pros and cons associated with medical marijuana as well as what you should know before making your first purchase. If you’re a beginner looking to experiment with medical marijuana for the first time, keep reading to find out how.
What is medical marijuana and how does it work
There are two main active ingredients in the cannabis plant, the first being THC and the second, CBD. THC is the active ingredient associated with the psychoactive effects and CBD is famed for its healing properties with no psychoactive effects. Our bodies naturally produce endocannabinoids which are neurotransmitters that link the cannabinoid receptors to our nervous system. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid receptor activity which is shown to help reduce chronic pain, reduce inflammation and provide many other health benefits. Besides pain and inflammation, people use CBD to treat anxiety, depression, PTSD, chemotherapy side effects, seizures, Multiple sclerosis, eating disorders, and many more. Medical marijuana comes from the cannabis sativa or cannabis indica plant species that have three main active compounds which are CBD, THC, and the lesser-known CBN.
Medical benefits of cannabis
Medical marijuana is popular because it can be used to effectively treat a long list of medical conditions including:
- Chronic pain relief: Cannabis contains hundreds of chemical compounds and many of them are called cannabinoids which have been linked to chronic pain relief because of their chemical makeup. As a result of this, pain relief is the most common use for medical marijuana.
- Weight loss: Cannabis has been linked to aiding the body in regulating insulin while also efficiently managing caloric intake which results in weight loss.
- Helps treat depression: Cannabis stimulates serotonin release which results in mood regulation and an overall feeling of euphoria when consumed.
- Seizures: CBD research has shown that CBD can help to control seizures which helps people suffering from epilepsy.
- Alleviate anxiety: High doses of cannabis can increase anxiety however when consumed in monitored doses, cannabis has a calming effect that helps to alleviate anxiety.
How to use cannabis as medicine
There are different ways to consume cannabis which ensure everyone consumes in a manner best suited for their needs. Some popular consumption found methods, many of which can be found at Daily High Club, include:
- Dry herb vaporizers: This is a battery-powered and handheld device that produces vapor by heating cannabis at a controlled temperature.
- Tinctures: This is a liquid created when dry cannabis is dissolved in alcohol and consumed sublingually.
- Edibles: This is any food, baked, or drink product that contains cannabis and gets consumed orally.
- Pills and capsules: As the name suggests, these are pills and capsules containing cannabis and are consumed orally as well.
- Topicals: Topical are lotions, creams, oils, gels, and sprays that contain cannabis and are applied directly onto the surface of the skin.
- Dab rig: Dab rigs are water filtration devices that heat cannabis concentrates such as wax which creates vapor.
When choosing a device, you must consider convenience, portability, personal preference, and what you are treating. For example, if you want a quick onset, a dry herb vaporizer is a good choice. If you want to consume more healthily and safely with no side effects then edibles or tinctures are the best choices.
Legal considerations when using cannabis as medicine
CBD is legal in all 50 states which are good news for those wanting to purchase medical marijuana. You will find cannabis in physical stores and online however before you purchase, you need to determine your dosage. You can speak to your doctor or any medical professional that works with cannabis about this. You also need to know that cannabis should not be consumed if you are on prescription medication because this can cause side effects such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea which is unpleasant. In some places, you need to qualify for a medical marijuana card to purchase and in others, this is not necessary.