How is technology affecting the life of a teen? Do you know the importance of this question? You cannot deny that technology has brought about a lot of positive sides for everybody, including teens. On the contrary, you cannot even deny that everyone brings technology into the bedroom, which adds to the screen time, thereby affecting multiple areas of their mental and physical health.
Experts are concerned about the harmful effects of blue light from these electronic devices, which affect the sleep cycle. Most teens sleep less than the recommended amount, and screen time is usually responsible for various health issues, including sleep deprivation. You can find out details on how to treat sleep insomnia?
Does increased screen time cause sleep deprivation issues among teenagers?
Screen time is related to a variety of symptoms among teenagers. It delays melatonin, extending the time to fall asleep or bringing about restful sleep. As such, the sleeping pattern gets disrupted. Sleeping late results in sleepiness during the day or fragmented sleep patterns. It disrupts the circadian rhythm of the body. Research has revealed that adolescents or teens are extra sensitive to the harmful effects of the light emitted from electronic devices. As such, limiting screen time is essential to prevent sleep disorders. It does not only suppress the levels of melatonin, but it can also affect sleep patterns. If teens engage in exciting content right before bed, then it will not only boost alertness but also reduce sleepiness among them.
How to inculcate better sleeping habits among teens?
Are you looking for cues to inculcate better sleeping patterns among teens? You must limit screen time and keep it only for social and academic applications. It would help if you encourage your teens to engage in healthy activities or family time before sleep. Ask kids at your place to develop a plan for screen time. If they do it independently, they will try to stick to it even more. Listed below are ways to reduce screen time:
- Set a screen curfew where you encourage your team to reduce the screen time and stick to it only during the day.
- Choose a bedtime appropriate to their age. You can also select a wake-up time so that they can get sufficient sleep.
- Focus on sleep hygiene to keep the teen’s bedroom quiet, calm, and dark. Choose a light that is warm to encourage more sleep.
- Encourage mental wellness among teens by engaging them in activities such as chatting or reading before sleep. You must listen to their worries and suggest solutions to limiting screen time.
- Explain the consequences of sleep deprivation. Ignorance is one of the major issues that cause teens to not sleep on time. Therefore, it is essential to make them understand the harmful effects of sleep deprivation.
- Make your bedroom a screen-free zone. The bedroom should be a place where you should only encourage sleep habits. It is advisable to ask your teen to keep technology outside the bedroom.
You must follow what you preach; only then will the teen understand the importance of good sleep. Talk to wellness experts at Meettulip.com for the best ways to sleep on time.
Be a positive role model to a teen!