When a person or family decides to adopt a cat or dog or other per pet, they take on a whole new set of responsibilities. Those animals become part of the family, much like a child. And, pets have needs that need to be met. One of those pet situations that families might encounter is pet incontinence for puppies and kittens, for a sick animal, or for a senior pet. Helping the pet control the rate of urine or fecal accidents is not an easy task. Some help can come in the form of dog or cat diapers.
What Times do Pet Diapers Help?
Pet issues such as:
- Puppies not yet trained to go outside
- Dogs in heat
- UTI issues in pets
- Paralysis due to disease or injury
- Excitement urination
- Surgical wounds that need protecting
- Gastrointestinal diseases or issues
- Pregnancy prevention during heat
- Side effects from medications
- Incontinence from spaying
- Postpartum issues after having puppies
Owners of dogs and cats can get more from Pet Parents on when to use pet diapers and other pet health products. There are more products pet owners can purchase to control pet accidents and messes. There are pet pads that are useful in training dogs and dealing with many incontinence issues. Pet owners can also purchase soft chew supplements to help pets with bladder control.
Controlling a pet’s urinary and fecal output can save the home carpeting and furniture from damage and keep the home smelling better. There are also super enzyme cleaners to clean up accidents and do away with the smell.
Pet Diapers That Work
When a pet parent is looking for dog or cat diapers, they should insist on certain features:
- The diapers should have a high level of absorbency through sewn-in pad layers.
- The pet diapers should be washable and reusable so they are kind to the environment.
- The diapers should come in multiple size choices and, in addition, be adjustable to fit the anatomy of all types of dogs or cats. A better fit means fewer leaks.
- Pet diapers must have an elastic tail hole for pet comfort.
- If the pet diapers are not comfortable, the pets will not be willing to use them. They need to be non-abrasive and wick the moisture away from the animal.
- These pet diapers do not do their job if they are not fitted to be leak-proof. This requires a leak-proof shell to contain the liquid.
- Washable, re-usable diapers should be made to be durable and last through multiple uses.
- Purchasing three diapers at a time for a set price will save money and always have one handy for the pet.
Remember, the use of pet diapers is only effective if the owner follows the directions and is attentive to their pet’s needs. Wet or soiled diapers should be removed and replaced with clean ones promptly.
Are Pet Diapers the Right Choice for Your Pet?
Pet parents may see pet diapers as a cure-all for their pet’s incontinence problems. But, are they? Pet parents dealing with stained carpets and messes caused by dogs that don’t have good control of the urination or pooping cause extra work and unpleasant smells in a home. Controlling the mess with per diapers can be a great solution. Dogs and cats can make things nasty by peeing on couches, chairs, or their owner’s beds. This problem needs to be controlled for everyone’s happiness and health.
It will be helpful to figure out the cause of the peeing before trying diapers. some causes that might need more work than just using diapers include.
- Submissive or excitement urination
- A pet urinary infection
- Pet diabetes or other diseases
- Cushing’s disease or kidney issues
- Pet dementia in older pets
- Urine marking
Taking the pet to a trusted pet should be the first step. If there is a treatable medical issue, it should be taken care of for the animal’s health. Wearing pet diapers during the treatment stage may be a solution. The vet will want to know how long the problem has been happening if the animal is just dripping or actually peeing, where the accidents happen, and if there were changes in the home before the behavior stated. The vet might also ask about other symptoms of illness that may be happening.
Good Things About Using Pet Diapers
The advantages of using pet diapers include giving the pet a wider range of freedom in the house rather than being confined. The diapers will reduce the pet messes to clean up, which will make the pet parent happier and less stressed. There are a lot of styles and sizes of pet diapers to choose from.
The Cons to Using Pet Diapers
Pet parents might think twice about using pet diapers in situations where the pet can not escape from the diaper if they need to or if they can escape too easily. Pet diapers can be costly, and a person on a low budget might not be able to afford them. Pet diapers need to be changed quite often to avoid the dog or cat developing a rash or an infection. And, there are stubborn dogs and cats that refuse to wear a pet diaper.
Is It a Good Idea to Use Pet Diapers to Housebreak New Pets?
The risk of using pet diapers to housebreak puppies or kittens is that the pet parent and the pet might become overly dependent on the diapers and not accomplish the housebreaking habit. So, it is important to use pet diapers as an aid and not the whole solution. The house training should go on with frequent walks outside for dogs and trips to the cat litter for cats. As the animal succeeds in relieving themselves in the proper place, the use of diapers should be discontinued.
Are Pet Diapers good for Senior Pets?
Using pet diapers on older animals may be helpful, but the dog or cat should be taken to a vet to make sure there is not an underlying medical issue that needs treating. Once any medical issues are solved, if the accidents still happen, it might be that the older dog has forgotten his training or is suffering from canine cognitive dysfunction or dementia. there are some drugs that might help or it may be the best use of pet diapers.
Each pet owner must know their pet and be willing to use whatever means are the best for that pet to control accidents and have a happy pet and parent.